1.) Features and ProgramsThe features and programs of the WholeBody 7.1 provide some notable high points. Let’s take stock.
3D FlexGlide Technology
Patented Warm Air TechnologyWhen I get a massage, quite often I like to turn on the heat. The extra heat can really help the muscles to relax, so unless it is a very warm day I will usually opt for the heat. This is another area in which this chair does very well: it has a Patented Warm Air Technology which targets the lumbar area, soothing and relaxing the muscles and preparing them for a massage that goes deeper. That, after all, is the point of heat in a massage: it is relaxing, and that allows the good of your massage to go deeper.
CirQlation Figure-Eight Calf Massage
The BodyMap PRO
Swivel BaseHuman Touch bills the 55-degree swivel base for this chair as something that will allow you to enjoy a massage from any angle. 55 degrees may not cover every angle, but it still covers a lot of angles. It’s not Zero Gravity, but this chair definitely allows one plenty of room to recline and relax.
Retractable Ottoman with Foot and Calf MassagerThe ottoman on this chair is retractable, which is convenient—sometimes one wants it out, other times not. This is also where the foot and calf massager is located, which is about what you would expect. Having a retractable ottoman is convenient, for the simple reason that sometimes you may want to simply use this chair as a chair. This is a good feature: I wouldn’t want a chair that didn’t have a retractable ottoman. As we’ve seen, the quality of the foot and calf massage is very good, so it gets full marks here.
2) Massage Techniques and StylesThere are 5 auto-massage programs on this chair: Full, Upper, Lower, Relax, and Sleep. The names are pretty self-explanatory, and even if they’re a bit on the basic side they’re very enjoyable. While 5 auto-massage programs may not sound like a lot compared with other models, most of those other models are at much higher price points. Given how it is priced, the Human Touch WholeBody 7.1 stacks up reasonably well.
3) Massage Intensity and SpeedThe massage intensity for this chair is moderate: not gentle or relaxing, not vigorous or intense, but moderate. It’s a reasonably good middle-of-the-road massage, the kind I tend to want more days than not. The lack of adjustable intensity doesn’t have to be a deal-breaker unless you feel a strong need for that, but it is certainly something to be aware of.
4) Special FeaturesThis chair isn’t long on special features, but I’ll note that you can get it in three colors: black, bone, and espresso. I tend to favor black—I like how sleek it looks—but I’d say go with whatever color you like the best, since you’ll be looking at it for hopefully a long time. There’s also the option for white glove delivery, which is an extra $125.00. I tend to favor this, personally, but your mileage may vary.
|Upright chair dimensions:
|44”L x 28”W x 40”H
|66”L x 28”W x 29”H
|21”W x 19”L
|Rear clearance required:
|Shipping box dimensions:
|57”L x 29”W x 33”H
|Maximum Load Weight:
|Net weight (product only):
|Gross weight (in the box):
|3D FlexGlide® Massage Technology
|Calf Massage Width:
|Calf Massage Height:
|Recommended height range:
|between 5’0” and 6’2”
6) Warranty & ServiceThe warranty is a 3-year standard warranty. What this means is that in-home service is covered for 1 year, parts are covered for 2 years, and structural issues are covered for 3 years. What the warranty does not cover is any loss or damage from improper installation, unauthorized repairs, alterations or modification of the chair’s original condition, improper use of electrical/power supply, loss of power, damage from dropping the product or improperly or unreasonably using it or maintaining it, weather conditions, and so on.
7) Pros:So far, we’ve seen this chair has some compelling features. Let’s start by talking about the pros, the things it does well, and then we’ll go on to the cons. Taking the big-picture view, this chair is good for what it is: an affordably-priced high-quality 3D massage chair. For a chair in this price range, it is very high-quality and offers very enjoyable massage experiences. The fact that this chair is 3D is a great point in its favor. I love the 3D massage experience in general, the way it allows me to adjust the depth of the rollers, and this chair offers a lot in that regard: it is 3D done right. This is impressive when you consider how this chair is priced. There are not a great many 3D massage chairs in this price range. But if I could talk about only one feature of this chair, I would rave about the FlexGlide® technology. While I enjoy a lot of different massage chair experiences, I do have to admit that pinching can be an issue with some models, and that’s where FlexGlide® comes in: it’s smooth, and provides plenty of pressure without rubbing and friction. This leads me to an important point: this is a very relaxing chair. Sitting in it for an extended massage, I was impressed by the quality of the experience, the way the rollers so smoothly kneaded at my tension. It was a genuinely delightful and relaxing experience. Heat is another very important thing for many massages. I like to have heat when I want it, which is often, because it really does encourage the muscles to open up and be more relaxed. This chair performs admirably in this area. The Patented Warm Air technology is very warm and very enjoyable, certainly another reason to recommend this chair. The figure-eight calf massage is another feature I’d be remiss if I didn’t talk about. Your calves may not be the most obvious or intuitive part of your body to target with a massage, but once you give it a try you’ll wonder why in the world you didn’t think to do it sooner. A good calf massage can be almost supernaturally relaxing: precisely because it’s an area you don’t usually think about for massage, getting a good calf massage can surprise you in the best way possible. The CirQalation figure-eight calf massage is precisely what I want in a calf massage: it’s very relaxing and definitely encourages blood flow. The BodyMap PRO is another feature I’ve come to appreciate. It’s not a body scan, but it is a good way to instantly target one area of your body. The retractable ottoman is convenient and enjoyable. I’d expect the ottoman to be retractable, and the fact that it is makes this another pro in my estimation. The 5 auto-massage programs are also all very relaxing. They’re simple, but they’re comfortable and quite worthwhile. Overall, then, this chair does have a lot going for it. Now let’s take stock of some areas in which it can be criticized.
8) Cons:There are a lot of things to love about the WholeBody 7.1, as we have seen. One thing I’m not crazy about is the intensity and speed: there is only one level of intensity, moderate, and while it is enjoyable enough, it is not always what I want. The wonderful thing about having different levels of intensity is that you can enjoy stronger or gentler massages in accordance with what you need on that day. Moderate, middle-of-the-road massage will often serve just fine, but on some days it is too much and on other days, too little. The relative lack of massage options is another weakness. 5 relatively basic programs is not bad for a chair in this price range, but it is not great, either. This chair has those 5 programs and that’s it, no different techniques to choose from. This is another one of those things you won’t always miss. The practical reality is that sometimes a “basic” massage still feels absolutely out of this world. You may not even find you want anything else. However, in an age when more and more chairs offer a diversity of options, the relative lack of options with this chair is certainly noticeable, though it is not egregious for the price range. The lack of a body scan is another drawback. The BodyMap is certainly a feature I like, but it isn’t quite the same as a body scan: there’s a level of responsiveness that’s missing.
Conclusion: Taking StockLet’s conclude here and evaluate whether this chair is right for you. If you’re looking for your first chair, this is an excellent pick. The 3D massage experience will wow you, as will the heat and the figure-eight calf massage. For a first-time chair owner, this is an optimal chair because it has some very enjoyable features at a relatively affordable price point. If your chief concern is 3D and a smooth massage experience, this may also be the chair for you even if you aren’t a first-time buyer. If you don’t care all that much about differing levels of intensity and different massage styles and techniques and simply want a smooth 3D massage, this chair will treat you well. On the other hand, if having different levels of intensity and other features is important to you, this probably isn’t the chair for you. So, give the Human Touch WholeBody 7.1 a try and see what you think.
Further reading: Top 7 Osaki Massage Chairs On the Market
Osaki OS Highpointe 4D Massage Chair Review